A Policy Manual developed as part of a Policy Manual Customization:
- Contains written policies that include up-to-date district goals, delegate authority to the superintendent, define operating limits, ensure legal compliance, establish board processes, and provide for monitoring of district progress.
- Includes all policies required by state and federal law and regulations.
- Has an easily identifiable coding system, alphabetical index, and table of contents.
- Contains individual policies that are clear and concise, with legal references and cross-references to related policies.
- Has adoption dates that are clearly stated at the end of each policy.
Board InvolvementDuring a Policy Manual Customization, an IASB policy director will work with the board and superintendent to develop a new and up-to-date local school board policy manual. This policy manual will be based upon IASB’s Policy Reference Manual and will be customized to include the board’s current policies and practices, as appropriate.
Professional DevelopmentThe board will benefit from in-district board development on the topics of effective board governance, the policymaking roles of the board, and board/superintendent roles and responsibilities.
The ProcessThe customization process may vary to meet individual preferences and needs of the board.
The typical process proceeds as follows:
- The policy director, board members, and superintendent meet in the district to outline the process and meeting dates, and to review board and district operations and current practices.
- The policy director prepares and delivers a draft policy manual based upon IASB’s Policy Reference Manual, input from the first meeting, and current district documents.
- Board members and administrators review the draft manual.
- The policy director, board members, and superintendent meet up to three times in the district to review, edit, and further customize the policy manual. Additional meetings may be requested by the board at a per-visit fee.
- The policy director prepares and delivers an edited manual ready for review and board adoption.
- Adoption dates are added by IASB, and the board receives a final copy of the manual.