Welcome, Board Presidents!
Leading the successful operation of a meeting is one of the most important responsibilities of the school board president. As the presiding officer, the board president sets the tone and climate of the board meeting to create an environment that allows for decision making and the fair treatment of all members.
Like any other member of the board of education, the board president is expected to participate in discussions and vote on motions. The board president also holds the great responsibility of presiding over meetings, plus other duties as assigned by law. These duties include calling special meetings, serving as the head of the body for purposes of OMA and FOIA, and signing official documents of the district. Many times the board assigns the president further additional duties, including acting as the board’s official spokesperson or making committee appointments.
Find helpful resources below to assist in your duties as school board president.
Resources to Lead Effective Meetings
- Parliamentary Procedure This webinar and motions guide will equip you with tools for mastering parliamentary procedure.
- OMA Exemptions See what subjects are allowed to be considered in a closed meeting.
- Meeting Checklist A 20-point checklist to help conduct productive, effective board meetings.
- Sample Meeting Content Sample meeting content and scripts you may use at school board meeting.
- Organizing the Board Learn the process for seating new board members and organizing the school board as required by state law.
Save the date! New Board Presidents Academy for Current and Aspiring School Board Presidents
- June 15, 2024 – Hotel Arista, Naperville
- June 22, 2024 – Hilton Garden Inn, Champaign
- August 3, 2024 – Doubletree by Hilton, Collinsville
Additional Learning for Board Presidents
- Coming to Order: A Guide to Successful Meetings by IASB
- The Governance Core: School Boards, Superintendents, and Schools Working Together by Davis W. Campbell and Michael Fullan
- The Trust Edge by David Horsager
- How Not to Be a Terrible School Board Member: Lessons for School Administrators and Board Members by Richard E. Mayer
Connect to IASB for support in your role
Reach out to your Association for resources and support for your leadership role.