Welcome New Board Members
Congratulations on your election or appointment to your local board of education. From mandated training, meetings, working with the superintendent, and learning the work of the board, IASB is prepared to assist you in gaining the knowledge and skills to become an effective school board member.
Resources to help you get started in your first year of boardsmanship
Learn more about school board governance
- What is PERA (Performance Evaluation Reform Act)
- School Board Governance Basics
- The Oath of Office
- Orienting the New Board
- Seating New Board Members and Organizing the Board
- Foundational Principles of Effective Governance
- Annual School Calendar
- Sample School Board Protocols
- The Historic and Political Role of the School Board
- IASB Policy Services and PRESS
- Board Member Recognition Programs
- Training Resources
What is IASB?
IASB is a voluntary organization of local boards of education leading public schools in Illinois. Learn more about IASB. Members can take this free online course Leaders Light the Way: A History of IASB to gain a deeper understanding of the Association's rich history.
Your IASB field services director is an invaluable resource who serves as your primary association contact. Find your field services director.