The Illinois Council of School Attorneys (ICSA) revised the document, "Answers to FAQs: Vacancies on the Board of Education," as part of ICSA's continuing effort to assist school leaders. The responses to these frequently asked questions represent the combined thinking of committee members who worked on this document.
This guidance is published for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal advice. For legal advice or a legal opinion on a specific question, school leaders should consult a lawyer.FAQ contents include these topics:
- How does a school board member's seat become vacant?
- How is a vacancy determination made?
- How is a board member vacancy filled?
- What are the qualifications for appointment to the board?
- Under what circumstances may a student serve on a school board?
- How are school board officer vacancies filled?
IASB expresses its gratitude to these ICSA members for their time and expertise in this project: Heather K. Brickman, Hodges, Loizzi, Eisenhammer, Rodick & Kohn; LLP; Debra H. Jacobson, Hodges, Loizzi, Eisenhammer, Rodick & Kohn LLP; Jacqueline Gharapour Wernz, Franczek, P.C.; and Kimberly Small and Debra Jacobson, Illinois Association of School Boards.