Multiple Learning Opportunities Available for New Board Members at Conference
Date PostedOctober 26, 2023
Friday, 9 a.m., November 17
- Conference 101 will walk through the Conference features, offer suggestions to plan your agenda, and help you navigate the facilities.
- Friday Focus Workshops, 9 a.m.-noon, November 17 (additional registration required)
- Superintendent Evaluation: The Essential Work of the Board will cover the importance of a superintendent evaluation process that promotes district improvement and provides professional development and growth opportunities.
- Real-World Board Scenarios will navigate real-world situations allowing participants to gain a greater understanding of their roles as board members and gather techniques for navigating board work.
- The Art of School Boarding provides an overview of fundamental concepts that make boards effective and individual board members exceptional.
- Board Policy Work: Your Tool For Success will show how boards can effectively maintain and use an up-to-date Policy Manual to help your board achieve even greater success.
- Monitoring Performance through Policy will go over IASB’s practical approach for effectively monitoring district performance through board policy.
- The Strategic Plan: An Opportunity Road Map for All Students will discuss the planning, collaborative leadership, and diligent oversight needed for a school board to produce a strategic plan that creates an equity-centered roadmap for all stakeholders.
- Setting District Goals/Strategic Planning looks at the process, the board’s role, how to involve the community, and how a board can stay in its lane when setting district goals.
- ABCs of School Finance: Abatements, Bonds, and Committees shows how a district turned their finances around by designing a five-year plan resulting in effective financial operations that support student learning.
- Effective Meetings, Productive Boards will help board members evaluate their meetings and learn and share the best practices necessary to conduct an effective board meeting.
- What Would You Do? will discuss real-life school board scenarios and then deliberate how to handle the situation and the important aspects that should be considered.
- I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To Good: Your Board Oath In Action will explore details of the statutory school board member oath and its practical application.
- Superintendent Evaluation: Pathways to a Productive Process walks through the steps contributing to the development and refinement of a comprehensive superintendent evaluation process.
- Community Engagement Techniques & Tactics for School Boards dives into the crucial role of community engagement and communication strategies for board members.
- Basics of School Finance: Expenditures & Revenue overviews the basics of school expenditures and financial reporting, business office operations, and the business administrator’s role in the expenditure process.
- New Board Members provides an opportunity to join other new board members to share your experiences. This conversation session will provide time for new board members to share the challenges they have faced, and lessons learned with fellow new board members.