Because the Association understands the choice of a superintendent to be the most important decision a board of education will ever make, the Association offers professional services to school boards seeking to fill a vacancy. The Association makes every effort to keep the costs for searches reasonable.
A search typically involves a number of steps:
- needs assessment
- a profile of the qualifications desired, "the person needed"
- a national announcement of the vacancy
- professional screening of applicants
- school board interviews with the finalists
- board negotiations with the selected candidate and the awarding of a contract
An announcement of vacancy is developed for each search. The announcement contains such information as:
- a description of the district and community
- a description of "the person wanted"
- some reference to compensation
- application procedures and processes
IASB welcomes the opportunity to make a personal presentation regarding its services to any member board of education that anticipates a search. There is never a cost for this presentation. A personal presentation will allow the board to explore a variety of options (or levels of service) for the search. A superintendent search, by its very nature, is an individualized effort, customized to fit the needs of a particular district.
Please refer to these FAQs for further information, or contact someone on the Executive Searches staff.
IASB has also developed an online course, Searching for the Next Key Administrator, to assist boards with the administrative search process. The course runs 17 minutes and is free of charge.
IASB is an equal opportunity employment search agency and a member of the National Affiliation of Superintendent Searches.