The communications staff of IASB can be a valuable resource as you consider story ideas and decide how to tackle school policy and governance, law, and finance topics. We are committed to connecting the news media and press to accurate information quickly.
Because we are statewide organization that focuses primarily on school governance and policy issues, we seldom comment on individual school district issues, particularly operational matters. But we are available to comment on broad issues, trends, and developments. Even if IASB is not the right source for attribution for your story, we will do our best to suggest sources and perspectives that would be appropriate.
Please direct inquiries to:
Kara Kienzler, 217/528-9688, ext. 1156 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If unavailable, please contact Britni Beck, Administrative Assistant, at ext. 1131 or email email@example.com. Every attempt will be made to answer your questions in a timely manner.
You may also want to refer to the following online resources:
- Press Releases
- News releases about the Association and its members, including events, new publications, awards, surveys, staff, etc., are issued as needed.
- Annual School Calendar
- A document (pdf) containing all the dates and legal requirements that Illinois school districts must comply with during the school calendar year. Updates are made periodically to allow for revisions to reflect any new legislation enacted or the correction of any errors.
- School Board Elections Overview
- Elections are held in April of each odd-numbered year. Terms are staggered so there are three or four seats contested at each biennial election. This IASB website provides information regarding the consolidated election that should be helpful for school boards, candidates, and voters.
- School Finance Referenda
- IASB maintains a database of school finance referenda for bond issues (working cash and building bonds), school tax rate propositions, and county school facilities sales tax outcomes.
- New School Laws
- A summary of new laws affecting Illinois public schools is designed to alert school boards, administrators, business officials, and principals to new laws and changes in existing laws, taking after Jan. 1 of each year.
- Position Statements
- Resolutions adopted by the IASB Delegate Assembly provide major policies for the Association and establish its stance on legislation and related matters of public policy. These statements are updated annually.
- Illinois School Board News Blog
- The Illinois School Board News Blog offers content tailored to school board members and administrators in a timely, efficient manner. The News Blog presents reliable information to help readers solve problems and keep up with relevant news, including information about IASB’s services, programs, and governance matters.
- Education Links
- This page features a list of other websites of special value to school board members, administrators and others interested in good school governance.
- Directory of Member School Districts
- Provides the district contact information, names of school board members, and the superintendent for each IASB member school district.
- Robert M. Cole Award
- IASB sponsors a special category of the annual statewide newspaper contest conducted by the Illinois Press Association. Named in memory of the first executive director of IASB, the Robert M. Cole Award recognizes outstanding newspaper coverage of education issues that emphasizes the community's connection with its local public school district.
- Where Does the Lottery Money Go?
- Presents questions and answers about the Illinois lottery and its very limited impact on public school funding. (PDF file requires Adobe Acrobat reader.)
IASB Publications Staff
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB website strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.