Historical Summary 1940-1949
1941 IASB joins with Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin in forming the
National Council of School Board Associations. World War II forces the Council out of
existence temporarily, but it eventually becomes the National School Boards Association
and is headquartered in Evanston.
The 62nd General Assembly enacts many new laws granting more responsibility to the
Office of Public Instruction, regulating the certification of teachers, creating teacher
tenure rights, establishing qualifications for county superintendents, and providing an
appropriation for educating handicapped children.
1943 On July 1, Robert M. Cole becomes the Association's first
full-time executive director.
On November 15, the first issue of the School Board Newsbulletin is
published. Fifty years later, Bulletin Number 502 is published in November, 1993.
1948 President: E.E. Clark, Naperville.
Subscription rate for Illinois School Board Journal: $2.00 per year.
Max Sherover invents a phonographic device called a cerebrograph, which teaches by
means of recording and playing back anything a person wishes to learn while slumbering. It
was successfully tested at the University of North Carolina and cut the learning period of
students exposed to it by 50 percent.
1949 President: E.E. Clark, Naperville.
The 35th Annual Conference of IASB and 17th Joint Annual Meeting with the Illinois
Association of School Administrators is held at the Jefferson Hotel in St. Louis,
A new IASB division is formed at a meeting in Olney and includes school boards from
Clark, Effingham, Crawford, Lawrence, Edwards, and Wabash counties.
Return to Historical Summary Menu
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB website strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.