Events, Training, and Programs
There is a lot to learn – whether you are a newly elected or veteran school board member. Fortunately, IASB offers a wide range of board development opportunities to get the knowledge, skills, and resources to become an effective school leader.
The links below offer a number of professional development options designed to enhance and enrich school board service.
- School Board LeaderShop
- LeaderShop is a curriculum of workshops for school board learning and networking. Programs directly relate to principles of effective school district governance and skills that promote effective school district leadership. Completion of specific workshops earn members credit toward IASB's School Board LeaderShop Academy .
- Mandatory Board Member Training
- Illinois requires mandatory school board member training. IASB is addressing these requirements by offering a training chart , sample policy exhibit , online template , online learning courses , and New Board Member Workshops . Click on any of these links to learn more about the requirements and professional development opportunities designed to enable board members to meet them.
- Online Learning Center
- The Online Learning Center provides premier training opportunities through online courses and webinars on a variety of topics.
- Joint Annual Conference
- This three-day event is one of the nation's largest state education conferences. Participants can confer with experts, hear from knowledgeable speakers, attend workshops and panel discussions, visit commercial exhibits, meet with colleagues, and get help with their special school problems.
- IASB Division Meetings
- Semi-annual dinner meetings are offered in the fall and spring in each of the Association's 21 divisions. Division business, keynote speakers, and panel sessions are featured at most meetings, and all provide excellent networking opportunities for board members and superintendents alike.
Please visit the Events Calendar for a schedule of training opportunities and upcoming workshops. Search this calendar for a list of events in a drop-down menu sorted by division, area, type, or subject. Searches for specific training events can also been done using a keyword search.
IASB staff is also available to offer custom workshops and training for school boards in their home districts. Contact an IASB field services director to learn more about:
- Board self-evaluations
- Setting district goals and direction
- Starting Right
- Superintendent evaluation
- Customized in-district sessions
Board Training Home
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB website strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.