NEW EDITION OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING BOOKJuly 27, 2009
A newly revised edition of the popular book, Collective Bargaining and the Illinois School Board Member, by Ronald R. Booth, is now available from the IASB bookstore.
The book has been around for many years, but the Third Edition includes several additions that will help superintendents and others involved in negotiations:
- An article entitled "Avoid These Pitfalls in Your Teacher Union Contract" has been added to the book. It appears as Appendix C.
- An alphabetical subject index has been added at the end, which should make the book more useful as a reference source.
The new edition continues to examine local practices among Illinois school districts at the same time that it explains requirements of the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Act. The book also addresses the pros and cons of alternative bargaining processes; explains the demands of mid-term and impact bargaining; discusses what it means to win or lose at the bargaining table; tells what to expect when teachers strike; and explains the political nature of public sector bargaining and the key distinctions between labor relations and human relations.
Collective Bargaining and the Illinois School Board Member examines such political and managerial realities as:
- what the law requires of educational employers;
- the roles of various players involved in bargaining, including the administrator, school board, and community;
- prohibited actions of both employers and unions (unfair labor practices);
- the crucial distinction between labor relations and human relations;
- the political nature of public sector bargaining and how school officials can successfully deal with it; . the pro's and con's of alternative bargaining processes (collaborative approaches);
- concepts like mid-term bargaining and impact bargaining that have emerged over the years from state labor board decisions;
- how to prepare for negotiations;
- what it means to win or lose at the bargaining table;
- what to expect when teachers strike.
A complimentary copy has been provided to each member district. The book is also available from the IASB Online Bookstore at www.iasb.com/shop/. Member price is $8 plus shipping and handling.
More IASB Releases
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB website strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.