Governor Announces Closures Will Last through School Year
Date PostedApril 17, 2020
Illinois Governor JB Pritzker ordered the closure of the state’s school facilities for the remainder of the school year at his daily coronavirus briefing on April 17, 2020. The Illinois State Board of Education has established remote learning guidelines for school districts since buildings were closed March 17 to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in Illinois.
“Over the last month, Illinois’ schools have stepped up and faced the many challenges of COVID-19 with generosity, creativity, and a resolute focus on caring for students, parents and communities,” said Pritzker. “…Science says our students can’t go back to their normal routine. We know that there are many school districts with unique challenges, and we will work with them on any issues that arise.”
The original order closed schools through April 7, later extended to April 30. The April 17 order means schools will remain closed for the remainder of the academic year.
Friday’s information included Illinois receiving approximately $569 million in federal funding for prek-12 schools, as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Each public school district will receive funding proportional to the number of low-income students it serves. ISBE also will receive CARES Act dollars as the state education agency.