IASB staff - including the Association's office of general counsel, governmental relations department, publications department and other staff - work to provide member school districts with the information they need to function effectively. Most of that information includes legal issues, directly or indirectly.
The office of general counsel is staffed with three attorneys. It advises the Association and represents IASB in legal matters, drafts sample policies for the Policy Reference Educational Subscription Service (PRESS), and contributes to many IASB programs and publications. Although it does not provide legal advice as what a school board should or should not do, this office can provide legal information and legal resources to IASB members.
The links below provide access to a wide range of such resources:
FOIA and OMA
Illinois Laws Affecting Schools
Illinois Council of School Attorneys
A directory of attorneys who (a) represent at least one Illinois school district and (b) hold membership in the Illinois Council of School Attorneys (ICSA). Information provided consists of name, law firm, address, telephone and fax numbers, and website if available.
Guidance and Legal Issues
- Gift Ban FAQ (Revised July 2018, Published by ICSA)
- Janus v. AFSCME: Implementation Issues for School Boards (June 2018, published by ICSA)
- Could a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request be Phishing? (June 2018)
- Conflict of Interest and Incompatible Offices FAQ (Revised May 2018, Published by ICSA)
- Navigating Student Walkouts and Mass Protests (February 2018, Published by NSBA)
- Coercion, Conscience, and the First Amendment: A Legal Guide for Public Schools on the Regulation of Student and Employee Speech (January 2018, Published by NSBA)
- Transgender Students: Legal Issues (Updated January 2018)
- Guidelines for Interviews of Students (Revised January 2018, Published by ICSA)
- Vacancies on the Board of Education (Revised January 2017, Published by ICSA)
- Amicus Report (January 2017)
- PRESS Materials Responsive to GATA Fiscal and Administrative Risk Assessment (July 2016)
- Memorandum of Understanding for School District & Local Law Enforcement Agency (March 2016)
- Same-sex Marriage: What the Obergefell Decision Means for School Districts (July 2015, Published by NSBA)
- Responding to a Subpoena (Revised January 2015, Published by ICSA)
- NSBA 'Data in the Cloud' Guidance Documents (Student Data Privacy) (Nov. 2014)
- Hot Topics in Collective Bargaining
- Referendum FAQ (June 2014, Published by ICSA)
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB website strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.