The Illinois Association of School Boards has published an updated Fourteenth Edition of its top-selling book, the Illinois School Law Survey.
The book, updated bi-annually, is the most convenient way to access and cross-reference most school law issues. Its question-and-answer format allows readers to find answers to the most commonly-asked questions facing or posed by school superintendents, school boards, and the general public.
Answers to 1,627 questions are based on state and federal statutes and case law in force and reported as of Jan. 1, 2016, and administrative rules and regulations current as of Dec. 15, 2015. Reflecting extensive changes in the laws governing Illinois public schools, the Thirteenth Edition:
- is 10 pages longer than the thirteenth edition;
- provides answers to 43 new questions;
- contains extensive revisions to questions and answers in response to changes in state and federal laws;
- reflects the impact of new court cases relevant to school law.
The book has several other key features that enable readers to find what they need quickly:
- Table of Contents lists the broad topics covered in each chapter. In many cases, these topic headings lead directly to the desired information
- Table of court cases arranged in alphabetical order by name of plaintiff. All court decisions cited are listed in the table with full legal reference
- Quick Reference Index provides an extensive listing of subjects arranged alphabetically
- Digital Access Code included with each book. This online version of the entire text can be used on any laptop, tablet, or smartphone with an Internet connection, with links to statutes, regulations, court decisions, and more.
The author, Brian A. Braun, has been an attorney with the firm of Miller, Tracy, Braun, Funk & Miller, Ltd., for 33 years. Prior to that, he worked for IASB and was a language arts teacher.
Braun has lectured on school law and labor relations at Illinois colleges and universities and has served both the National Council of School Attorneys as a director and the Illinois Council of School Attorneys as chairman.
The Illinois School Law Survey is available from IASB Publications, 2921 Baker Drive, Springfield, IL 62703. Orders can be mailed, by calling 217/528-9688, ext.1108, or faxing orders to 217/528-2831. Price is $60 ($45 for IASB members) plus $7 per order for shipping. The book also may be purchased through the Association’s online bookstore at: www.iasb.com/shop .