Survey of Outsourcing Practices, 2007
IASB assesses need for school maintenance manual
As an aid in deciding whether to update and re-publish its manual on school physical plant maintenance, the Illinois Association of School Boards faxed a brief survey to all 856 of its member districts. More than 400 districts responded to the survey between January 19 and January 26, 2007.
A summary of responses is available here for downloading as a PDF file.
Here are some of the findings provided by 412 responding districts:
- About 20 percent of the responding districts say they outsource all or parts of their sanitation/maintenance services.
- About 14 percent outsource custodial and cleaning services;
- About 13 percent outsource building and mechanical maintenance;
- About 18 percent outsource grounds maintenance.
- Districts in rural areas are least likely to outsource these functions - only 12.5 percent outsource these functions compared with 30 percent of urban and suburban districts.
- Among the 27 rural districts that say they outsource custodial/building maintenance, 9 (33 percent) say they have no planning materials for working with their vendors.
- Among the 59 urban and suburban districts that say they outsource custodial/building maintenance, 15 (25 percent) say they have no planning materials for working with their vendors.
- Among the 337 districts of all types that DO NOT outsource custodial/building maintenance, 174 (51 percent) say either that their management/training materials are out of date or that they need to develop such materials. This percentage is slightly higher for rural districts and is lowest for large city and suburban districts.
IASB says "Thank You" to the superintendents and/or their staff members who took the time to provide this data
Member Services Home
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.