The Illinois Association of School Boards
Board Training Activities
There is a lot to learn – whether you are a newly elected or veteran school board member. Fortunately, IASB offers a wide range of board development opportunities to get the knowledge, skills, and resources to become an effective school leader.
The links below will direct you to a number of professional development options designed to enhance and enrich your school board service:
- School Board LeaderShop
- LeaderShop is a curriculum of workshops for school board learning and networking. Programs directly relate to principles of effective school district governance and skills that promote effective school district leadership. Completion of specific workshops earn members credit toward IASB's School Board LeaderShop Academy.
- Mandatory Board Member Training
- Illinois requires mandatory school board member training. IASB is addressing these requirements by offering a training chart , sample policy exhibit , online template , and an
online learning course . Click on any of these links to learn more about the requirements and professional development opportunities designed to enable board members to meet them.
- School Board Governance Recognition
- Governance Recognition is designed to acknowledge those school boards that have engaged in activities and modeled behaviors that lead to excellence in local school governance in support of quality public education. The focus of this program is on full board development and participation rather than individual board member efforts.
- Online Learning Center
- Courses offered through the Online Learning Center are designed to complement those made available by IASB at in-district, regional, and statewide workshops.
- Joint Annual Conference
- This three-day event is one of the nation's largest state education conferences. Participants can confer with experts, hear from knowledgeable speakers, attend workshops and panel discussions, visit commercial exhibits, meet with colleagues, and get help with their special school problems.
- IASB Division Meetings
- Semi-annual dinner meetings are offered in the fall and spring in each of the Association's 21 divisions. Division business, keynote speakers, and panel sessions are featured at most meetings, and all provide excellent networking opportunities for board members and superintendents alike.
If you want to know when a board development event is scheduled, please visit the Events Calendar . You can search this Calendar for a list of events in a drop-down menu sorted by division, area, type, or subject. You can also search for training events with a keyword search.
IASB staff is also available to offer custom workshops and training for school boards in their home districts. Contact your IASB field services director to learn more about:
- Board self-evaluations
- Setting district goals and direction
- Starting Right
- Superintendent evaluation
- Customized in-district sessions
Field Services Staff
Board Training Home
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.