Covering education and school boards can be daunting, especially for someone new to the beat. The communications staff of IASB is here to help. Collectively, we have more than 60 years of experience in education. More importantly, we can open the door to hundreds of years of knowledge from other staff members in the Association. We can be a valuable resource as you consider story ideas and decide how to tackle school policy and governance, law and finance topics.
We are committed to connecting the news media and press to accurate information quickly. We will help you get in touch with experts inside or outside of our organization. Your inquiries may be directed to any number of IASB sources, depending on what you are looking for.
Because we are statewide organization that focuses primarily on school governance and policy issues, we seldom comment on individual school district issues, particularly operational matters. But we are available to comment on broad issues, trends and developments. Even if IASB is not the right source for attribution for your story, we will do our best to suggest sources and perspectives that would be appropriate.
Please direct inquiries to:
James Russell, 217/528-9688, ext. 1121; or email him at: email@example.com.
If unavailable, please contact Shantel Rotherham, Administrative Assistant, at ext. 1131; or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Every attempt will be made to answer your questions in a timely manner.
You may also want to refer to the following online resources:
- Foundational Principles of Effective Governance
- As the corporate entity charged by law with governing a school district, each School Board sits in trust for its entire community. This PDF brochure explains the obligation to govern effectively imposes some fundamental duties on the Board. For a text version of the Foundational Principles (with pop-up definitions for key terms), click here .
- What is IASB?
- The Illinois Association of School Boards is a voluntary organization of local boards of education dedicated to strengthening the public schools through local citizen control. Our vision is excellence in local school board governance supporting quality public education. This page also links to staff, officers and directors and other Association background information.
- Search Online
- This search engine has been specially designed to help you find information on the IASB website. It permits you to search the entire website or search only selected publications or documents. That is, you can limit your search to Alliance Legislative Reports if you are looking for legislation; back issues of the Illinois School Board NewsBulletin or the Illinois School Board Journal for selected articles; or all other documents.
- Press Releases
- News releases about the Association and its members, including events, new publications, awards, surveys, staff, etc., are issued as needed. These releases are archived to 2006.
- Education Year in Review
- A capsule summary of the events and issues over the past school year, Education Year in Review highlights the following areas: legislation, state and federal education developments, IASB programming and attendance, IASB financial report, and honors and awards.
- 2014-2015 Annual School Calendar
- A PDF brochure containing all the dates and legal requirements that Illinois school districts must comply with during the school calendar year. Updates are made periodically to allow for revisions to reflect any new legislation enacted or the correction of any errors.
- School Board Elections Overview
- Elections are held in April of each odd-numbered year. Terms are staggered so there are three or four seats contested at each biennial election. This IASB website provides a variety of publications regarding the consolidated election that should be helpful for school boards, candidates and voters.
- New School Laws
- A summary of new laws affecting Illinois public schools is designed to alert school boards, administrators, business officials and principals to new laws and changes in existing laws, taking after Jan. 1 of each year.
- Position Statements
- Resolutions adopted by the IASB Delegate Assembly provide major policies for the Association and establish its stance on legislation and related matters of public policy. These statements are updated annually.
- IASB Journal
- The Journal is a bi-monthly magazine published by the Association and distributed to all of its members. Articles, which are written by IASB staff, freelancers, and experts in the field of public education, are archived from 1995.
- IASB Newsbulletin
- The Newsbulletin is the official newsletter published by the Association and distributed to all of its members. Articles in this monthly publication are also archived from 1995.
- Understanding School Finance
- This booklet, available online as a PDF document, answers 12 essential questions about the basics of school finance, from "What is a school district budget?" to "What do we get for the money we spend on education?"
- Playing Fair With the Children of Illinois
- This booklet is also available online as a PDF document and challenges parents and taxpayers to determine for themselves whether their schools are adequately and equitably funded and to seek solutions through more local effort or more state aid. It also discusses impact of staffing and program needs, property wealth and tax rates.
- Where Does the Lottery Money Go?
- This flier, available online in a PDF document, presents questions and answers about the Illinois lottery and its very limited impact on public school funding. It also shows the decline in the state's commitment to schools since advent of the lottery.
- Child Nutrition Issues
- "Weighing Healthier Options" is a series of articles and reports published in the Illinois School Board Journal, the Illinois School Board Newsbulletin, and supplemented with online resources at the IASB Website. This is an in-depth examination of childhood obesity, nutrition and physical activity as these issues relate to public school operations and school board policy-making.
- Education Links
- This page features a list of other websites of special value to school board members, administrators and others interested in good school governance. Subjects include school board leadership; legislative and government resources; school management resources; periodicals; and other important sites.
- An Alphabet Soup of Educational Acronyms
- This list is our best attempt at providing a guide for Illinois school board members, administrators and the IASB staff for acronyms currently in use.
- Directory of Member School Districts
- The IASB Membership Directory provides the district name, mailing address, telephone and fax numbers, and the names of school board members and the superintendent for each of 846 member school districts. Direct links to school district home pages are also provided, where available.
- IASB Bookstore
- In addition to the Illinois School Law Survey and Illinois School Code, you can find a wide variety of books published by IASB and other publishers. Publications may be ordered online, by phone, fax or mail.
- Illinois School Law Survey
- The Illinois School Law Survey , which is published bi-annually, is a popular layman's guide to school law that uses a question-and-answer format to address issues commonly encountered by school board members and administrators. Answers are based on state and federal statutes, court decisions and government agency regulations.
- Coming to Order - A Guide to Successful School Board Meetings
- Coming to Order is a book IASB originally published in 2006 to enable school boards to use their meetings to reach a higher level of performance as well as those that simply need a cure for bad meetings. This revised 2013 edition takes the board meeting beyond compliance with legal requirements to meetings that serve the interests of both school and community.
- Essentials of Illinois School Finance
- Sub-titled "A Guide to Techniques, Issues and Resources," this book is designed not only as a training manual and desk-top reference for school business managers and budget makers, it also provides an effective reference for anyone who needs to understand "the essentials of Illinois school finance."
- Robert M. Cole Award
- IASB sponsors the Cole Awards in a special category of the annual statewide newspaper contest conducted by the Illinois Press Association. Named in memory of the first executive director of IASB, the Robert M. Cole Award recognizes outstanding newspaper coverage of education issues that emphasizes the community's connection with its local public school district.
IASB Publications Staff
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.