"Ask the Staff" is a feature that appears regularly in The Illinois School Board Journal consisting of school board questions answered by members of the IASB staff.
Most recent articles are posted here. Past articles can be found by searching the IASB Archives at: http://archives.iasb.com/ Select "Ask the Staff" from the category drop-down menu.
If you have a question for consideration, please submit it to the Editor, Illinois School Board Journal, 2921 Baker Drive, Springfield, IL, 62703. You may also fax it to 217.528-2831 or email your question to email@example.com.
Answers will be provided by IASB staff members most qualified to address each specific question. Not all questions may warrant an article; however, every question will be answered.
Note: Ask the Staff is not a substitute for legal advice; rather answers provide general guidelines for governance, policy and rules affecting school boards and their procedures. Please consult your school attorney for specific legal guidance.
- Key Communicators can help get out the good word -- May-June, 2013
- Veterans need new board member training in ’13, too -- March-April, 2013
- Board has its role in teacher evaluations -- January/February, 2013
- As boards' primary work, policy should matter -- November-December, 2012
- Multiple opportunities open for leadership roles -- September-October, 2012
- Using old Law Survey may cost more than the book -- July-August, 2012
- Board member advocacycan make a big difference -- May-June, 2012
- ‘Business content’ triggers FOIA, not who owns device -- March-April, 2012
- Nomination procedures vary in award programs -- January/February, 2012
- IASB plans for state-mandated training -- November-December, 2011
- Policy helps reduce angst over student group access -- September-October, 2011
- Conference attendance is a district investment -- July-August, 2011
- New boards are bound by most existing contracts -- May-June, 2011
- To protect your name, avoid these pitfalls -- March-April, 2011
- Spring candidate briefings offer look at board service -- January/February, 2011
- Statutory changes will affect election filings, FOIA requests -- November-December, 2010
- Boards must decide how small is too small -- September-October, 2010
- Board policy, state resources offer home-school answers -- July-August, 2010
- Different websites offer members unique content -- May-June, 2010
- Transfers, short-term borrowing offer options -- March-April, 2010
- Delegating new in-service for ethics, conduct is best -- January-February, 2010
- Speaking with 'one voice' shouldn't stifle opinion -- November-December, 2009
- Board members' e-mail, Internet use increasing -- September-October, 2009
- Delegation, not hands-on best fulfills board role -- July-August, 2009
- Members-Only website personalizes services -- May-June, 2009
- 'Getting up to speed' is the board's job -- March-April, 2009
- Legislature extends pilot on hiring retired teachers -- January-February, 2009
- IASB can help boards focus on student learning -- November-December 2008
- IASB to help districts salute board members -- September-October, 2008
- Conduct descriptions clarify restrictions -- July-August, 2008
- IASB tries to match JAC housing requests -- May-June, 2008
- Is a 'second' required following a motion? -- March-April, 2008
- Laws will necessitate changes in bus policy -- January-February, 2008
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.